Do you know that sometimes square bars prove to be better than round ones? They offer better strength and stability. This article takes a closer look at what square bars are, their sizes, weight, benefits and applications.
What is a square bar?
As the name suggests, a square steel bar is a square-shaped bar typically made of a metal such as steel or stainless steel. Generally, it has a square cross-sectional shape. It is known for their strength and versatility and hence they are widely used in various industries including construction, manufacturing, engineering, and so on.
These square bars are available in various sizes and lengths.
Square bar: Sizes
While square bars are available in standard sizes, you can also get them in customised sizes as per your requirements. Here are some of the standard sizes:
- 3 mm
- 4 mm
- 5 mm
- 6 mm
- 8 mm
- 10 mm
- 12 mm
- 16 mm
- 20 mm
- 25 mm
- 30 mm
- 40 mm
- 50 mm
Types of square bars
Square bars are made from various materials, which define their types. Here are some types of square bars:
Stainless steel square bars: Square bars made from stainless steel are corrosion resistant and hence are used in industries such as construction, food and beverage, and so on.
Steel square bars: They are made of various kinds of steel such as carbon steel, and alloy steel and are mainly used in construction.
Aluminium square bars: Aluminium steel bars are known for their features such as lightweight and corrosion-resistance. They are commonly used in applications where weight reduction and corrosion resistance are important, such as in aerospace and marine industries.
Brass square bars: Brass square bars are known for their corrosion resistance and attractive appearance. They are often used in decorative and architectural applications.
Copper square bars: Square bars are also made from copper. They are mainly used in electrical and electronic applications as they possess excellent electrical conductivity.
Other material: As per the demand from the application, steel bars are also made from various other materials such as plastic, bronze, titanium and so on.
Square bars: Weight
Since the square bars are available in different materials, their weight varies accordingly. Here is a formula to calculate the square bars’ weight.
Weight (in kilograms) = Length (in meters) x Width (in meters) x Thickness (in meters) x Density (in kilograms per cubic meter)
Let’s take an example of a steel square bar with the following dimensions.
- Length: 0.9144 meters (around 36 inches)
- Width: 0.0508 meters (around 2 inches)
- Thickness: 0.0127 meters (Around 0.5 inches)
- Density of steel: Approximately 7850 Kg per cubic meter
Weight = 0.9144 meters x 0.0508 meters x 0.0127 meters x 7850 kilograms per cubic meter
Weight = 3.6882 Kg (approx.)
Here are some key benefits of using square bars.
Since the square bars are made from strong materials such as steel or stainless steel, they offer strength to the structure. Therefore, it is used in applications where strength is the main requirement such as construction.
Easy handling and fabrication
The square bars are easy to cut, drill and weld. Additionally, they are easy to stack, store, handle and transport.
Square bars are aesthetically appealing; hence they are widely used in architectural applications. For example, they are used in railings, gates, design elements, etc.
Another important benefit of square bars is that they offer stability to the structure where it is essential. For example, in machinery and equipment, square bars provide a stable level platform for mounting components.
High load-bearing capacity
Square bars are capable of withstanding high loads. Hence, they are suitable for heavy-duty applications.
Easy to maintain:
Steel and stainless steel square bars are easy to maintain. Since both materials do not require much maintenance, square bars automatically feature reduced maintenance.
Here are some of the common applications of square bars.
- Construction: Steel is an important material in the construction industry and so are the square bars. They are used in various functions in construction such as creating a framework, providing structural support, reinforcing concrete structures, etc.
- Architecture: As mentioned above, square bars are widely used in architecture as they have the required aesthetic appeal and strength. They are used for making railings, gates and design elements.
- Furniture: Square bars are used in making furniture designs, particularly for modern and contemporary pieces. One can see them in table legs, chair frames, and other structural components of the furniture.
- Breweries: Stainless steel square bars are brewery vats.
- Manufacturing: Square bars are deployed in several manufacturing processes. They are commonly used in creating components and parts with precise dimensions and consistent quality. For example, they are in the production of tools, gears, and machine parts.
- Transportation industry: Square bars are also used in making vehicle components. For example, trailers, truck bodies, chassis components, axle shafts, suspension parts, and so on. Moreover, square bars are used in the aerospace industry too.
- Agriculture industry: Square bars are utilised in making various tools used in the agriculture industry.
The price range of the square bars varies depending on its material.
- Mild Steel Square Bar ₹55-70/kg
- Aluminium square bars: ₹200-400/kg
- Stainless steel square bars: ₹120-250/kg
Note: The price range mentioned above is approximate and it may vary as steel prices change frequently.
How to procure steel bars?
- Firstly, determine your needs. This will help you to narrow down the material of the square bar.
- There are several ways to procure steel bars. Always invite quotes from multiple vendors for comparison of rates and qualities.
- One of the hassle-free and convenient ways to procure steel is through digital ways. Tata nexarc offers to high quality steel at reasonable rates. You can visit the website and post your requirements. You will receive quotes from the authorised vendors. Evaluate quotes and select the best one that suits your needs.
- Compare quotes from various aspects including the price of steel bars, quality and other charges such as packaging, delivery timelines and so on.