Table of Contents
What is the steel bar?
Steel bars are the most common component used for the construction work. Steel bars are known as rebar’s or reinforcing bars and they are a mesh of steel wires used as a tension device in monastery structures and concrete. It helps provide strength and aids the bar material under tension, which is usually concrete. The primary use of steel bars is to add and give another layer of reinforcement to the structure of concrete. Steel bars are versatile, strong and affordable for the constructors which makes them the most commonly used steel product among industries like construction.
Types of steel bars
Here are the different types of steel bars used in construction
- TMT bar
Thermo mechanically treated, or TMT bars bars are considered as an important component required during the construction of the building. Whether it is a commercial building or a home being built, the TMT bars are used. Before buying the TMT bars, the contractors need to buy the bars based on the diameters they require. The length of the TMT bars is usually standard but the diameter of the bars is different. There are different sizes of TMT bars available in the market including hmm, 10mm, 12mm, 20mm and so on.
- MS bar
MS bars or Mild steel bars are one of the types of steel bars used in building construction for a long time now. MS bars are characterised by a plain outer layer or surface unlike the wrapped structure displayed by other kinds of bars and also have less tensile yield strength.
- Hot rolled deformed bars
Hot rolled deformed bars are considered the type of rainforest steel bar that is mainly used within the R.C.C. structures. This type of bar has a huge strength and can be used in every type of construction work. Hot rolled deformed bars help provide great strength to the constructing building and are also durable.
- Cold rolled steel bars
Cold rolled steel bars are reinforced steel bars that are usually obtained from the processing of hot-rolled bars. In the whole process, hot rolled bars go into the cold working process during cold work.
- Carbon steel bar:
These bars are made of carbon and iron. Carbon steel bars are used in the manufacturing of various machine components, tools, and other industrial applications. Further, they have high tensile strength and are resistant to wear and tear.
- Stainless steel bar:
These stainless steel bars are used in the manufacturing of various machine components such as, tools, and other industrial applications. These have also high corrosion resistance and thus, are resistant to wear and tear.
Steel bar weight chart comparison
TMT bar weight chart
|Diameter||Weight of a single bar||Number of bars in a bundle||Unit weight of the steel per metre||No. of bars in a ton||Weight of bundle||No. of bundle in tons|
|10 mm||7.41kg||7||0.618 kg||135||52||19|
|12 mm||10.67 kg||5||0.890||94||53||19|
|20 mm||29.63 kg||2||2 .47kg||34||59||17|
|25 mm||46.30 kg||1||3.86kg||22||46||22|
MS round bars weight chart
|Size in mm||Weight (Kg/feet)||Weight (Kg/m)|
Deformed reinforcing steel bars weight chart
|Size in mm||Weight (Kg/feet)||Weight (Kg/m)|
Hot-rolled steel bars weight chart
|Size||Diameter (mm)||Weight (kg/m)||Diameter (D,mm)||Weight (kg/m)||Weight (Kg/mm)||Diameter (D,mm)||Weight (kg/mm)|
Brands to buy steel bars in India
Steel bar production is currently ranked as the second biggest production in the world. India is one of the biggest steel product manufacturers and there are many brands that produce quality steel for the construction industry. They are not only selling steel products in domestic countries but also international market. Here is the list of manufacturer and exporters of steel bar producers in India.
- JSW Steel
- Tata steel
- Jindal Steel
- Prime Gold
- Bhushan Steel
Steel bar applications
Steel bars are used in a wide range of industries. This is due to their versatility and strength. Here are some of the applications of steel bars:
- Construction: They are commonly used in construction projects to reinforce concrete structures. It includes the construction of buildings, bridges, dams, and so on. Rebars provide tensile strength to the concrete and help to hold it together.
- Aerospace: In the aerospace industry, these are used to manufacture various parts such as landing gear, engine components, structural parts, etc. Thereby, providing strength and durability to these parts.
- Automotive: They are used in the automotive industry to manufacture various parts such as axles, drive shafts, suspension components, etc. They provide strength and durability to these parts.
- Textile: In the textile industry, steel bars are used to manufacture various parts such as looms, spinning machines, and so on. They provide strength and durability to these machines.
- Shipbuilding: These are used in shipbuilding to manufacture various parts such as hulls, decks, bulkheads, etc. As they provide strength and durability to these parts. Also, they help to withstand the harsh marine environment.
- Defence: In the defence industry, these steel bars are used to manufacture various parts such as tanks, armoured vehicles, weapons, etc. Thus, providing strength and durability to these parts.