TMT bars are one of the crucial elements of construction. TMT bars come in various grades. If you are in the construction business, you may have heard about Fe 415 steel. Have you ever wondered what Fe 415 steel is and why is it preferred in the construction industry?
This article throws light on What is Fe 415 steel, its features, benefits and pricing. The article also highlights the difference between Fe 415 and Fe 500 grades. So, let’s begin with what Fe 415 means.
What is Fe 415?
Fe 415 is one of the popular types of TMT steel bars which are widely used in the construction industry. The term Fe stands for iron while 415 indicates its yield strength. In other words, Fe 415 grade of steel means steel that has as high yield strength as 415 megapascals (MPa).
Yield strength means the point at which the steel starts to deform permanently while taking a load. Therefore, steel grades with higher yield strength turn out to be beneficial in the construction industry as the structure is then able to take the load. In other words, Fe 415 helps in increasing the structural integrity and load-bearing capacity of concrete elements.
Here are the features of Fe 415.
- Yield strength: As mentioned earlier, Fe 415 bars feature high yield strength which makes them suitable for the construction industry.
- Ductility: Fe 415 is also known for ductility. It means that under the load the structure will deform but will not gave a sudden fracture. This is also one of the essential features of the construction industry.
- Can be reinforced: Fe 415 can easily be used in reinforced concrete columns, beams, foundations and so on.
- Weldability: Fe 415 is a weldable type of steel grade. Therefore, it features easy integration in the various structures.
Is Fe 415 corrosion-resistant?
As a matter of fact, Fe 415 is not as corrosion resistant as stainless steel. However, these bars can be treated with coatings to be used in environments where corrosion may be a concern. Such treatment can prevent corrosion in steel.
Benefits of Fe 415
- Stability: Due to higher yield strength, Fe 415 grade steel offers structural stability and helps prevent failure under load.
- Design flexibility: Since Fe 415 bars are available in various lengths and diameters, architects and designers have design flexibility.
- Cost-effectiveness: Fe 415 grade steel strikes the right balance between strength and cost. As a result, it is popular in the construction industry.
Application of Fe 415
Here are the popular applications of Fe 415 bars:
- Residential small building: Fe 415 is suitable to be used in smaller homes, low-rise residential apartment buildings, etc.
- Low-rise commercial buildings: It is also widely used in low-rise commercial buildings such as small offices, retail shops, and so on.
- Beams and columns: Fe 415 grade TMT bars are widely used in beams and columns.
- Infrastructure: Fe 415 grade bars are also used in bridges in the case when loads are not extremely high.
Fe 415 steel TMT bars are available in various diameters and lengths. Many Indian steel manufacturers make Fe 415 grade steel bars. Here is a list of a few TMT bar manufacturers in India:
- JSW Steel
- Vinayak Steel Ltd
- SRMB Steel
- Kamdhenu Ltd
- Shyam Steel
The price range of Fe 415 ranges between ₹40-₹60/kg.
Difference between Fe 415 and Fe 500 steel
Fe 415 and Fe 500, both grades play an important role in the construction industry. So, here is the difference between them.
|415 MPa meaning it can bear a lesser load as compared to Fe 500
|500 MPa meaning it can bear more load as compared to Fe 415
|Ultimate tensile strength of Fe 415 is 485 n/sqmm.
|Ultimate tensile strength of Fe 500 is 545 N/sqmm
|It is suitable to be used in smaller structures such as low-rise buildings.
|It can be used in large structures including multi-story buildings, business parks and so on.
|It is suitable to be used in seismic active areas.
|It is earthquake resistant
|It is less expensive
|More expensive than Fe 415
Fe 415 or Fe 500: How to select?
- In order to select the cost-effective high-quality grade of TMT bars for your project, it is of utmost importance to define your needs.
- List down the needs of the project and also environmental conditions.
- Identify which grades are suitable for your project. For example, if you are constructing a series of retail shops having only a couple of floors, Fe 415 bars may be suitable. However, if you are building a multi-story office space, you may prefer to use Fe 500 grade TMT bars.
- Find out the cost.
- It is best to approach multiple vendors and get quotes. This can help you to do a comparative analysis of cost and quality.
- Choose the quotation that suits you the best.
- Always buy in bulk as it is cost-effective.
How to procure Fe 415?
Are you planning to buy TMT bars? There are several ways to purchase TMT bars such as Fe 415. One of the reliable ways to purchase high-quality TMT bars is through Tata nexarc Procurement. You can submit your requirements. Get quotes from authorised vendors and select the one that suits you the best.
To conclude, Fe 415 grade TMT bars are not the best in class. However, depending on the needs, they are suitable for small and medium-scale projects. For example, it can be a good choice for residential short residential buildings however, they are not suitable for high-rise and skyscrapers. Additionally, Fe 415 may not be the right choice for earthquake-prone regions.