Table of Contents
The Government eMarketplace or the GeM portal was launched by the Government of India to make public procurement easy for government institutions. It also aims to make it easier for Indian businesses to directly sell their products to the government and participate in government tenders. To access GeM portal, you would first need to register on GeM portal as a seller/buyer. GeM portal registration is free of cost and can be done completely online.
How to register on GeM portal as a seller?
The GeM portal seller registration process is just a few minutes long and involves filling in a GeM portal registration form and submitting a few documents. Follow these steps to register on GeM portal as a seller:
- Visit the GeM portal
- Click on the ‘Sign up’ button on the homepage
- Select ‘Seller’
- Click on ‘Review terms and conditions’ option that appears on the next page
- Read the terms and conditions that appear on the next page and check the box labelled ‘I have read and agree to the terms and conditions of GeM’
- Fill in the organisation details that appear on the next page
- Select ‘Organisation/business type’ (proprietorship, partnership, etc.) from the drop-down menu and fill in your ‘Organisation/business name’
- You will be asked to reenter the business name to ensure that it is correct with the right spelling as the name cannot be edited once it is saved
- Click on ‘Next’
- Fill in ‘Personal Verification’ section that appears on the next page (You can either click on Business PAN or Aadhaar and fill furnish the relevant details)
- Fill out your phone number in the mobile number column (This will appear after you finish filling your PAN/Aadhaar details. Click on the ‘Send OTP’ button after you fill in your mobile number. Enter the OTP in the next box and tap on ‘Verify OTP’.)
- Fill out the ‘email verification’ section on the next page (The OTP verification is repeated here)
- Carefully complete the ‘User credentials’ page by filling in the User ID and password (Make sure to memorise this or note it down somewhere so you can login to GeM portal once the registration on GeM portal is finished)
- Furnish the PAN verification section that appears on the next page
- Fill out the company details on the next page (This will include questions like ‘Are you a startup?’, ‘Are you registered with MSME as a Micro Small and Medium Enterprise?’, ‘Do you want to participate in a bid?’, etc. It will also ask you to add your office addresses.)
- Complete the form that appears asking for bank account details. This is the account that you will receive money into after participating in bids or through direct purchase orders.
- Declare your e-Invoice compliance in the next step by providing your turnover in the past three years and clicking on yes or no by the column labelled ‘Specific category excluded from compliance to e-Invoicing as notified’. This is asking you whether you are exempt from the e-Invoicing rule.
This completes the mandatory steps of the GeM portal registration process.
Next steps deal with filling in optional details like tax assessment, startup, MSME, etc. Tax assessment must be furnished if you are a business entity in existence for more than 2 years. There is also a section named DoE compliance which asks you whether you are business entity of a country that shares a land border with India.
Once you finish the optional details you will be required to pay caution money. The amount of caution money is unique to each business and depends on your annual turnover. This completes the process of seller registration on GeM portal.
There is no other fee for GeM portal registration except the caution money.
GeM portal registration as a buyer
There are over 50,000 government establishments signed up as buyers on GeM portal. Government departments should have GeM portal registration as a buyer to buy goods and services from the platform.
Buyers and sellers have different forms for registration. Clicking on the signup option on the homepage will take you to two options: ‘Buyer organisation’ and ‘Seller’. Choose Buyer organisation and then tap on either ‘HOD’ (Head of organisation/Primary User) or ‘VA’ (Verifying Authority) as per the type of the government institution. This will take you to the form which must be filled in and submitted. All the supporting documents must be attached as well.
Documents required for GeM portal registration as a seller
For the process mentioned above these are the GeM portal registration documents required:
- PAN card
- Aadhaar card
- GST certification
- ITR for the past two years
- MSME registration certificate (if applicable)
- Startup India registration (if applicable)
Advantages of selling your products on GeM
GeM portal hosts over 38 lakh registered sellers and service providers who use the portal to find new business contracts and purchase orders. There are two ways you can sell your products and services on GeM portal:
- By participating in tenders
- Through direct purchase orders
Direct purchase orders on GeM allow buyers to buy products/services of value up to ₹25,000 through any of the available sellers on GeM. This process is like online shopping and goods can be acquired without going through the entire tender process.
Here are a few advantages of selling on GeM:
- Direct access to all government departments
- Sell your products according to your specifications, no customisations required
- Product and model registration not required
- Receive direct purchase orders for amounts up to ₹25,000
- Prices of your products can be changed according to market conditions like inflation, recession, etc.
- Products are free from regular consignment inspection testing and other evaluation procedures
GeM registration is completely online and only takes a few minutes to complete. If you have any doubts regarding the process, there are GeM portal consultants who can help you with the registration process. Once registration is complete go through the GeM portal products listing guide and upload your product details on the platform. You can start finding tenders and participating in bids and also receive direct purchase orders through the portal.
If you need help with finding and participating in tenders, subscribe to Tata nexarc’s Tenders & Quotations. We help you find relevant tender opportunities tailored to your business and send you relevant tender updates via SMS and email.