Table of Contents
The Government e-Marekplace (GeM) has made it easier for buyers and sellers to reach its target audience. Government departments with specific procurement requirements can turn to the GeM portal to buy and sell goods and services. However, to do so, all sellers must first add their products/services on the GeM portal and understand how to add product in GeM portal. GeM portal products listing is the first step you will have to take to expand your reach and sell directly on GeM to government entities looking for new products.
This article explains how you can add new products, upload relevant information, and answers some frequently asked questions about listing your products in GeM. You can also learn how to create a product catalogue on GeM and how to upload catalogue on GeM. Once you have registered on the GeM portal as a seller, you will have to enlist your product, upload photos and enter a product description to start selling.
GeM portal products listing: How to upload product information on GeM?
Adding products on the Government E Marketplace is simple and straightforward. However, there are specifications, rules and regulations which, as a seller you will need to follow when you upload product photos and descriptions or GeM portal products price list.
To get started, here’s a snapshot of how to upload products on GeM:
- Log-in with your credentials
- Click on catalogue
- Click on Products
- Add New
- Enter Search Category
- Enter Category/product name and you will be able to select from the drop-down menu
Steps to add products in GeM
To understand how to add product in gem, there are a couple of steps you will have to follow. Basic tips on adding product details on GeMs portal:
- Keep your product catalogue product description, and product price list handy
- Identify the key GeM product list you want to upload and keep their images in the right size and format with you
Here are the five steps for GeM portal products listing.
1. Provide basic product information:
Every seller needs to provide basic information of each product such as category and sub-category of the product, product name, description of the product, model, HSN code (Harmonised System of Nomenclature Code) and SKU id, etc.
Note: HSN code is a 6-digit code. It classifies over 5000 products and is accepted worldwide.
2. Mention product quantity:
You need to mention the correct quality of available products. This helps buyers to understand if the required quantity is available with the seller.
3. Mention price of the product:
GeM portal products price list works in a different way. While mentioning the product price on GeM, the seller needs to quote two prices – Maximum retail price (MRP) and offered price.
It is important that offered price on GeM is a discounted price, which is lesser than MRP by at least 10%. For example, the MRP of your stationery product is ₹100. Then, your offered price or GeM portal products price has to be ₹ 90 or below.
4. Write down product specifications:
GeM products list includes detailed product information. Hence, you need to now mention the product specifications. These specifications will change depending on the type of product.
However, some of the common specifications that you can mention include are: width, height, size, colour, weight, dimensions, quality, grade, application, and so on. This enables the buyer to make an informed decision of buying as per their requirements.
5. Upload product images:
GeM has clear rules to add photos. These include:
- You need to upload at least three photos of each product. These 3 photos should not be identical. Instead, they should be taken from 3 different angles so that the buyer gets the better understanding of the product.
- The photo should be on a plain white background.
- A photograph should have a single product.
- The photo of the product should be without packaging material like a box or carton.
- The product should be centrally aligned.
For example, if you are selling hand santisers, then the image should capture a single bottle on a white plain background, without any packaging, from three different angles.
Technical specifications of the image:
- The image size should be less than 30KB.
- Allowed image formats include: jpg and png
- Anything other than a product image such as diagrams, sketches, technical specifications, etc., is not allowed.
- Distorted images are not allowed.
- The presence of a watermark, brand logo or any kind of identification in the photo is not allowed.
- Edited images such as writing image product name over the product, etc. are not allowed.
Once you have entered all details and uploaded the photos click on ‘Save’. Remember to check the section on ‘Review Terms and Conditions’ and finally ‘Publish’. Your product listing will be reviewed by the GeM’s team.
You can add each new product likewise.
How to get purchase orders on GeM?
Once you upload all your products, you will start receiving purchase order notifications. You can easily log-in to the GeM portal with your credentials and click on the orders tab to check the purchase orders that you have received.
Click on the purchase order to view it and then either – ‘Accept’ or ‘Reject’.
Here is how you can ‘Accept’ the order:
- Check the purchase order thoroughly. Verify details such as quantity, required specifications, timeframe for delivery, price, etc. Once you determine that it is a feasible order to complete you can click on the ‘Accept’ button.
- Once you accept the order, click on view details. Fill in details of the consignment and tax on the purchase order. This will take you to the next step of generating the invoice.
Here is how you can ‘Reject’ the order: You can reject the order if you:
- Think the product ordered is not relevant to you.
- Find any other issue with the purchase order.
Important points to remember about GeM portal product listing
- Although buyers can place direct purchase orders on GeM, certain criteria have to be met. Products or services of value up to ₹25000, meeting requisite quality, specifications, etc., can be procured through any seller on GeM.
- Although GeM does not charge any fee at the time of registration, there are other GeM portal charges and fees on the basis of orders procured through it.
- With regard to GeM specified products, the portal allows only OEMs and/or authorised resellers to transact. This is to safeguard buyer’s interest by assuring they get only authentic products along with associated warranties.
- You will need to have a digital signature certificate (DSC) Class 3. Like you need a Class 3 DSC for eTendering, similarly you require a DSC to verify transactions.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) on uploading products on GeM
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions about selling on GeM.
Can you update the product information?
How can you verify your business as an OEM on GeM?
What is the turnaround time for product approval?
Why is my product upload rejected?