Table of Contents
If you want to buy TMT bars in India (whether online or offline) you need to have the right strategy in place. Buying steel bars involves research and understanding of the market dynamics, knowledge of the players, taxes and other compliance issues, the extent of freight and transportation costs, quantity requirements and more. Considering the hike and drop in recent steel prices, it’s advisable to know how to choose the best TMT bar in India and then get started.
Whether you are an architect or real estate developer and want to buy TMT bars online for your office, residential, or commercial project, or are a wholesaler/supplier looking for top quality TMT bars manufacturers, this article with tips to purchase TMT steel bars will help you make the right choice.
Tips to buy TMT bars online in India
Before we discuss how to buy TMT bars, let us understand its main features and why they are one of the most popular materials in civil engineering and construction projects.
TMT bars features and characteristics you should know about:
TMT bars – or Thermo Mechanically Treated bars are one of the critical raw materials for all construction and RCC projects – building, flyovers, bridges, dams etc. They have attributes that make them suitable for diverse projects including those in coastal and earthquake prone areas. They are heat and corrosion resistant, malleable, flexible, durable, and weldable. They also have high tensile strength, elongation properties, and the unique quality of a strong and tough exterior and a soft core.
Now that we understand the properties of TMT bars, let us share some tips on how to choose a TMT bar maker in your city.
1. Buying options – offline and online bulk TMT bar purchase
Among the first things you should be considering is the buying options available to you. Most businesses today understand the importance of having a digital presence. Which means that most reputed TMT bars manufacturing companies will have their own websites and list all their products on it. You can find details on TMT bar price, size, grades, availability, minimum order quantity and more on the websites. Some companies also have downloadable catalogues with images, pricing and contact information.
This makes it easy for you as a buyer to compare different manufacturers and buy online. Alternatively, you may also find a reliable TMT bar wholesaler near you and visit them personally, check the quality of products, and buy offline. In case you are placing a bulk order for TMT bar purchase, you may consider a mix of both methods – i.e., offline for the first order and online for all subsequent orders.
Comparing multiple websites and negotiating rates with different steel manufacturers/suppliers can be difficult and time-consuming. What if there’s a simpler and trustworthy solution?
At Tata nexarc we have partnered with leading steel manufacturers for you to buy quality TMT bars at the best price. We also offer easy credit options. Explore now for more details and attractive prices for hot rolled coils, sheets, steel channels and angles, and more.
2. Quality check
Whether you are buying steel online or offline, quality is a component you cannot compromise on. TMT bars after all are used in construction projects and must be of superior quality to give stability and strength to the building. Here are some tips on how to purchase TMT bars online based on quality of steel:
- Look for BIS certification:
The certificate from Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is an indication that the steel bars you are procuring are safe and of reliable quality (also suitable for export) and the manufacturing of TMT bars have been done adhering to all the established guidelines and processes (especially for removing impurities).
- Ensure it is ISO certified:
ISO certification, i.e., International Organization for Standardization certification is the next certificate your TMT bar supplier/manufacturer should have. Being ISO certified means that the company is innovative, production and product quality is as per standards, documentation is maintained, and assistance is provided when needed. Some of the ISO certifications that you should look for in your steel manufacturer/supplier are: ISO 9001:2008 (for quality management) and ISO 14001:2004 (for environmental management).
When it comes to finding a reliable steel supplier online, the task can be daunting. Especially because you cannot physically supervise and evaluate the product quality. In such cases, the right certification will help to build trust.
Also, search online for reviews on the top 10 TMT bar manufacturers in India. This will help you to filter better.
3. Affordability of TMT bars
TMT bars are often considered to be the most cost-effective raw material. That is, even though initial investment might be more, their longevity provides better returns. They take up less storage space and are low on maintenance, and the grade of TMT selected determines its quantity. As such, in the long run, they turn out to be more cost effective.
Now, before you negotiate on the price of TMT bars for your construction project, understand these key points about the cost of TMT bars:
- Price of TMT bars is never static – it changes frequently based on multiple factors. As such always look for the latest steel TMT bar price before purchasing.
- There are taxes involved – namely GST. As such, prices vary marginally between states. Take note of this when you are making bulk purchases.
- Manufacturers, wholesalers, suppliers, retailers – each will add their margins, adding to the overall cost.
- Freight and transportation costs are separately calculated. In general, since railways are usually used for transporting steel, costs are usually lower than road transportation costs.
- There are different TMT bar types in India (namely Fe 415, Fe 500, Fe 550, Fe 600), each available in different sizes (usually 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 16mm, 20mm, 25mm, 30mm). The rate of TMT bars will be determined by its size and type.
Like most B2B purchasing, the rules for B2B TMT bar purchase remains the same – always connect with multiple manufacturers, get quotes and negotiate, start with a small order value, have clear SLAs on payment terms, understand delivery dates and credit facility options, etc.
Cost is a key factor to consider when purchasing TMT bars. But ensure that you do not compromise on quality for cost.
4. Purpose – Selecting TMT bars by grades
Which is the best TMT bar in India? A valid question to ask considering you would want to use the best available raw materials for your project. In general, steel is a preferred raw material in construction, and there are very few structures that can be built without a TMT bar.
We have already looked at the characteristics of TMT bars that make them suitable for construction. What also matters is the grade of TMT bar being used. As a steel buyer, when you buy steel bars, identify the purpose and select the right grade of TMT bars.
- Fe 415: Economical, has high yield strength and elongation. Suitable for small residential construction that doesn’t require heavy load bearing. Useful in high seismic areas.
- Fe 500: Arguably the most commonly used TMT bar type for RCC projects, commercial buildings, bridges etc. More expensive, strong, and can withstand tremors making them suitable in earthquake prone areas.
- Fe 550: High tensile strength, can bear heavy loads, lesser elongation than Fe 500. Suitable for underground and marine projects, and infrastructural development work like bridges, flyovers etc.
- Fe 600: Strongest of all TMT bars, most suitable for infrastructure development projects like bridges, metro rails, highways. Corrosion-resistant making it fit for marine projects. Low flexibility and can bear heavy loads.
Remember, TMT bars bond well with cement/concrete and hence are suitable for construction projects. Their outer surface ribs are unique and facilitate cementing. Whichever grade of TMT bars you get, ensure that the ribs are uniform and will cement properly.
Conclusion: Going ahead with buying TMT bars online
Finding the right TMT bar supplier for your supply of steel is critical. It’s a competitive market and it’s beneficial for you to have a procurement strategy for business, to ensure that quality products are sourced at the best prices and within defined timelines.
When buying steel online always go for reputed brands. It is unlikely that you will get poor quality when you buy ISO certified steel. Also, look for after sales support and guidance.
As a new buyer, if you are debating over your purchase decision, connect with us on Tata nexarc to buy steel today. Our team can guide you and help you buy TMT bars hassle-free. We have partnered with some of the leading Indian TMT bars suppliers and can assure you of quality steel, every time.