Table of Contents
A bright bar is a common steel product used in the manufacturing industry. Bright bars are often used when a high level of precision is required in manufacturing processes, and they can be easily machined and further processed for specific applications. They are used in a wide range of applications in industries such as manufacturing, construction, automotive, and engineering.
What is a bright bar?
Bright bars, also known as bright steel bars or cold finished bars, are a type of metal product that has been processed to have a smooth, polished surface finish. They are typically made from carbon steel, alloy steel, or stainless steel.
The process of manufacturing bright bars involves cold drawing or turning the raw steel material to achieve precision dimensions and a smooth surface finish. This cold working process not only imparts a bright, shiny appearance to the bars but also improves their dimensional accuracy and mechanical properties.
Types of bright bars
Bright bars are available in various shapes and sizes, including round, square, hexagonal, and flat bars. Some common types of bright bars include:
- Bright round bars: These are cylindrical bars with a smooth, polished surface, commonly used for manufacturing components like shafts, pins, fasteners, and more.
- Bright square bars: Square-shaped bright bars are often used in the construction of machinery, frames, and other structural applications.
- Bright flat bars: Flat bright bars have a rectangular cross-section and are used for making various components, including brackets, base plates, and flanges.
- Bright hexagonal bars: These bars have a hexagonal cross-section and are frequently employed in the production of fasteners, nuts, and bolts.
MS bright bars
An MS bright bar is an acronym for Mild Steel bright bar. These bright bars are made of mild steel, which is a low-carbon steel with relatively low strength but excellent formability, weldability, and versatility. They are used in the production of fasteners including nuts, bolts, screws; machined components like shafts and axles; support structures, frames, etc.
Bright bars – HSN Codes
Bright bars are assigned HSN codes according to the method of manufacturing used and the type of steel used to make them. Have a look at the HSN codes of bright bars as per CBIC:
|Mild steel bright bar||7214 (Other bars and rods of iron or non-alloy steel, not further worked than forged, hotrolled, hot-drawn or hot-extruded, but including those twisted after rolling)||721491 – of rectangular (other than square) cross-section
|Mild steel bright bar||7215 (Other bars and rods of iron or non-alloy steel – other, not further worked than cold-formed or cold-finished)||721510 – Iron and steel, other bars and rods of iron or non-alloy steel of free-cutting steel, not further worked than cold-formed or cold-finished
|Bright bars: Chromium type||7221 (Bars and rods, hot-rolled, in irregularly wound coils, of stainless steel – bars and rods, hot-rolled, in irregularly wound coils, of stainless steel)||722100 – Bars and rods, hot-rolled, in irregularly wound coils, of stainless steel
|Bright bars: Nickel chromium austenitic type||7221||722100 – Bars and rods, hot-rolled, in irregularly wound coils, of stainless steel||72210012|
|Other bright bars||7221||722100 – Bars and rods, hot-rolled, in irregularly wound coils, of stainless steel||72210019|
|Bright bars: Chromium type||7222 (Other bars and rods of stainless steel; angles, shapes and sections of stainless steel – bars and rods, not further worked than hot rolled, hot-drawn or extruded: of circular cross section)||722211 – Of circular cross section
|Bright bars: Nickel chromium austenitic type||7222||722211 – Of circular cross section||72221112, 72221912
|Other bright bars||7222||722211 – Of circular cross section||72221119, 72221919|
|Bright bars: Chromium type||7222||722219 – Other
|Bright bars: Nickel chromium austenitic type||7222
|722219 – Other||72221912|
|Bright bars: Chromium type||7222 – Other bars and rods of stainless steel; angles, shapes and sections of stainless steel – bars and rods, not further worked than cold formed or cold-finished||722220 – Bars and rods, not further worked than cold-formed or cold-finished
|Bright bars: Nickel chromium austenitic type||7222||722220 – Bars and rods, not further worked than cold-formed or cold-finished||72222012|
|Other bright bars||7222 – Other bars and rods of stainless steel; angles, shapes and sections of stainless steel – other bars and rods||722220 – Bars and rods, not further worked than cold-formed or cold-finished||72222019|
|Bright bars: Chromium type||7222||722230 – Other bars and rods||72223011|
|Bright bars: Nickel chromium austenitic type||7222||722230 – Other bars and rods||72223012|
|Other bright bars||7222||722230 – Other bars and rods||72223019|
|Bright bars||7228 – Other bars and rods of other alloy steel; angles, shapes and sections, of other alloy steel; hollow drill bars and rods, of alloy or non-alloy steel – bars and rods, of high speed steel
|722810 – Bars and rods, of high speed steel||72281010
|Bright bars of alloy steel||7228||722830 – Other bars and rods, not further worked than hot-rolled, hot-drawn or extruded||72283011
|Other bright bars||7228||722830 – Other bars and rods, not further worked than hot-rolled, hot-drawn or extruded||72283019|
|Bright bars: Of alloy tool steel||7228||722860 – Other bars and rods
|Other bright bars||7228||722860 – Other bars and rods||72286012
Bright bar HSN codes depend on the type of steel used to make the bright bar. Make sure you also look at the sub class from the table above to get the right HSN code for your product.
Bright bar prices
Have a look at the average price of bright bars in the Indian market according to its application:
|Construction||₹ 44/Kg||₹ 55/Kg|
|Manufacturing||₹ 46/Kg||₹ 64/Kg|
|Manufacturing||₹ 38000/Ton||₹ 60000/Ton|
Bright bar manufacturers
There are numerous bright bar manufacturers in India selling round bars, hexagonal bars, square bars, etc. Have a look at a few popular Indian manufacturers of bright bars.
- Bharat Bright Bars Private Limited, Mumbai
- Fortran Steel Private Limited, Raigad
- Hindustan Ferro Alloy Industries Private Limited, Pune
- Jain Steels Corporation, New Delhi
- Sai Steel Industries, Ahmedabad
- Matta Drawing Works, Faridabad
- Dhand Steel Traders, Ludhiana
- Vinayaka Metal Industries, Nagpur
- Shahnaz Bright Steel Industries Private Limited, Chennai
- R. Steel Udyog, Kolkata
Uses and applications
Bright bars have a wide range of uses across various industries due to their precise dimensions, smooth surface finish, and excellent mechanical properties. Some common uses and applications of bright bars include:
- Machined components: Bright bars are often used to manufacture precision components such as shafts, pins, spindles, and axles in machinery and automotive applications.
- Fasteners: They are employed to make high-quality bolts, screws, nuts, and studs used in construction, automotive, and industrial equipment.
- Tools: Bright bars are used in the production of cutting tools, drills, and machine tool accessories where precision and durability are crucial.
- Pump shafts: Due to their excellent surface finish and straightness, bright bars are used to make pump shafts for various industries, including the chemical and oil industries.
- Valve stems: Valves in industrial and fluid control systems often have stems made from bright bars to ensure a smooth, corrosion-resistant surface.
- Guide rails: Bright bars find use in guide rails for linear motion systems, ensuring smooth movement in applications like elevators and conveyors.
- Hydraulic cylinder rods: They are used in hydraulic cylinders for a smooth, corrosion-resistant surface that extends the life of the equipment.
- Kitchen and bathroom fittings: Some stainless steel bright bars are used in the production of kitchen and bathroom fittings, including handles, rods, and other decorative elements.
- Construction: Bright bars are employed for manufacturing various structural components in construction, such as anchor bolts, dowels, and reinforcement bars.
- Electrical applications: Bright bars are used in the production of electrical transmission and distribution equipment, including copper and aluminum busbars.
- Automotive components: They are used in various automotive parts, including engine components, suspension systems, and steering components.
- Aerospace: In the aerospace industry, bright bars are used to make critical components for aircraft and spacecraft due to their precise tolerances and high-quality finish.
- Railways: Bright bars are used in the railway industry to make various components, such as couplings, axles, and suspension parts.
If you are looking to procure bright bars or any other steel products do visit Tata nexarc. A subscription with us can give you access to verified sellers from across India. A simple request on our platform can match your steel requirements to products from reputable sellers manufacturing quality steel. Get easy credit options, doorstep delivery and quality steel at competitive prices at Tata nexarc. Explore now.
Also read: GST on steel bars: Tax on steel, iron and TMT steel bars in India