Table of Contents
Modern construction demands unique architecture along with a strong infrastructure. Steel is core to every construction and among steel, TMT bars are known for their structural strength and stability against natural disasters. Therefore, TMT bars are widely used in the construction industry for their greater tensile strength and cost-effectiveness. Considered as the backbone of solid structures, TMT bars are largely used in most constructions to provide resistance against natural disasters.
The has been at an all-time high. And with the rise in construction and infrastructural development projects, the demand for quality TMT bars has been rising significantly. In this blog we discuss the advantages of TMT bars, the types of calamities TMT steel bars can withstand and how these steel bars provide safety against natural disasters.
What is a TMT bar?
The full form of TMT is Thermo-Mechanically Treated (TMT). TMT steel bars are manufactured using multiple chemical and metallurgical processes to make it strong, durable and corrosion resistant.
There are mainly 4 types of TMT steel bars that fall under different grades – Fe 415, Fe 500, Fe 550, and Fe 600. The TMT steel price in India ranges from ₹54,450 to ₹76,200 per tonne in the time period Feb ’22 – Jan ’23.
How do TMT bars protect constructions from natural disasters?
TMT steel bars are equipped with several qualities that make it highly suitable to provide protection from natural disasters. Apart from the fact that they are strong and tensile, allowing superior protection from wind, earthquake and floods, these steel bars are also resistant to corrosion. Moreover, being ductile, TMT bars absorb shocks and stresses better without breaking.
Based on their features, there are advantages of using TMT bars in construction projects. Given below are the ways how TMT bar prove effective against different natural disasters.
- Flood: Constructions tend to become corroded and worn-out during floods due to prolonged exposure to water. TMT bars, being anti-corrosive and durable, can prevent flood water from causing any harm to the structure. For instance, Fe 550 and Fe 600 grade TMT bars are strong and are often considered for marine, coastal and underground projects.
- Earthquake: TMT bars are also effective to withstand the impact of earthquakes – that normally damage and destroy property. Being ductile and bendable, TMT bars are capable of absorbing the vibrations to a great extent, thereby reducing extensive structural damage to buildings. Fe 415 and Fe 500 are TMT bar grades considered for small residential and commercial buildings in earthquake and seismic prone areas.
- Storms: Another natural hazard is hurricanes that pose significant threat to a building during the construction phase. TMT bars resist the damage caused during hurricanes due to their high strength, bendability, and fatigue resistance capability.
- Fire: A fire is one of the most destructive natural disasters and can badly affect the stability and structure of a building. TMT rods have a high thermal capacity and can withstand temperatures of up to 6000 C.
What are the steps for installing TMT steel bars?
- Determine the size and type of bars needed for the structure.
- Mark the location of the bars on the structure.
- Drill holes in the structure and insert the bars into the holes and secure with concrete.
- Ensure the bars are properly secured, levelled, and aligned.
What are the applications of TMT steel bars?
TMT steel bars are used for many applications. The primary use of TMT steel bar is in reinforcing concrete, masonry, and other structural, like reinforcing walls, roofs, and floors in residential and commercial applications. TMT steel bars are also used to reinforce the foundations of buildings to protect them from natural disasters. Widely used in construction of bridges to protect these structures from natural disasters, TMT bars are also used to reinforce swimming pools and other aquatic structures.
To sum up: What is the future of TMT steel bars?
TMT steel bars are largely used in construction for their versatile and cost-effective properties. They offer a number of features like high strength, corrosion resistance, flexibility, and ease of installation that makes it highly suitable for construction. Moreover, TMT steel bars are lightweight, easy to transport and handle.
The growth of steel sector is on an all-time high in India with a spurt in construction across the country. Consequently, the demand for TMT steel bars is likely to increase due to their cost-effectiveness, and versatility. With the use of new technologies these steel bars can be equipped with greater strength, corrosion resistance, and flexibility to make it the most preferred construction material to provide safety against natural disasters.
When selecting TMT steel bars for your requirements, make sure they meet all quality standards and have strength, ductility, endurance, and longevity. Also make sure to examine the gradation of TMT bars to suit your requirement.
If you are looking to source the best TMT steel bars that will provide superior protection from natural disasters, visit nexProcure to contact trusted sellers who offer high quality TMT bars.