Bidding for tenders and winning contracts is one of the most promising ways to grow your business. However, participating in a tendering process is a tedious task. Since the list of requested information and documents is long, there is always a chance of missing out on something. To add to it, there is no second chance provided to bidders to submit the missing documents at a later stage. As a result, if you miss out on submitting a document, your bid will not be considered. Therefore, it is recommended to have a checklist ready for procuring a government tender.
Each tender is unique and as per the scope of work, documents requests vary. Meanwhile, some of the information requested remains consistent.
Checklist for tender preparation
Let us take a look at the checklist of documents/information to be checked at various stages of procurement.
1. Determining bidding decision:
Once you come across a tender that you think is relevant to your business, analyse it carefully. Here is a checklist of questions/points you need to consider before you decide to bid for it.
- Is it relevant for your business?
- Does your business fit in the eligibility criteria?
- Do you have all necessary documents and required information?
- Is it strategically right for your business to participate and eventually win this tender?
- Do you have the required bandwidth to complete the mentioned work if you win the contract?
- Will you be able to file the tender response withing the deadline?
2. Understanding requirements:
Once you decide that it makes business sense to bid and you are eligible for it, then you need to understand the requirements. You can appoint a bid manager to organise the bid submission for you. Here is how you understand the requirements.
- Reread tender notice carefully and make a note of the deadline
- Understand how and when you need to deposit the tender fee and Earnest Money Deposit (EMD), if any
- Make a checklist of documents that you need and get in touch with concerned departments/personnel to fetch the same
- Decide profit margin and start calculation for quoting the price
Break this list into 2-3 parts and set a deadline for each one. So that you gather all necessary information before the deadline and can submit your response on time.
3. Compiling documents:
Once you make a checklist of all the work that needs to be carried out for tender submission, you need to start compiling documents and other required details. Here is a list of documents that are commonly required in the tendering process, and you should keep them handy.
- Company PAN Card
- Udyam certificate/ MSME registration certificate/ Udyog Aadhar certificate
- Address proof of the business
- Company registration certificate/Incorporation Certificate/Partnership Deed
- GST and other taxes related details
- Class III Digital Signature Certificate
- ESI, EPF certificates
- Audited CA certificate with turnover
- Other certifications such as ISO
- Manufacturing related compliances and certifications like ZED certification
- Industry specific certification – for example FSSAI for the food industry
- Previously completed similar orders (in the specified period)
- Detailed project plan
- Quotation document
- Proof of deposit of tender fee and/or EMD
Make a checklist for each tender that you are filling, so that you do not miss out on anything.
4. Submitting tender document:
Before finally submitting your tender response, review your tender document carefully by considering following points.
- Reread and proofread it to eliminate all errors
- Verify whether all information/details provided are right
- Analyse if you are addressing all criteria and requirements
- Check if you have attached all the necessary documents
- Check if all supporting documents are attached
Double check on the quotation provided
While the checklist can help you to organise you documents and ensure timely submission of the bid, it does not ensure contract winning. Winning depends on various aspects. While you submit your response be aware of the competition. Analyses your competitors. Alternatively, offer value for money quotation. Usually, tender evaluation process gives importance to quote as well as value offered in return. Therefore, make sure your body stands out.